This had been my project for the last couple of weeks. There was a time when I thought the recliner would win but I kept at it and I finally conquered the challenge of the crazy recliner. Early last year a coworker of Jeff's asked if I would want a recliner they no longer had a use for, he must have been aware of my dumpster diving hobby and allowed me the dignity of picking it up from his home rather than picking it up off the curd with the rest of the trash. Since I have never upholstered a recliner before, my naivety, made me believe this would be no big deal. Boy, was I mistaken!
Here is what the recliner started out as. The fabric was a very worn polished cotton. Although, this chair had been used a lot and the fabric thread bare, the structure of the chair was very solid and as it turned out a good brand name as well. Score one for me!
When I begin to take a piece of furniture apart, I always start on the back and take lots of pictures of each step. This is so helpful as you begin to put the piece back together. I am always careful not to tear the fabric as I then use these pieces as my pattern, marking them with "top", bottom", "right", and "left". This sounds like a bit much, but believe me it is more helpful then you know.
Recliners come apart, top and bottom. This makes it easier to work with and I was able to work with each piece separately. For the most part, I always replace or add additional dacron padding to the arms and sides. On this chair, I added stuffing to the head and back cushion and dacron warp to the seat cushion, sides, and arms.
Because of my lack of experience with recliners I miscalculated the yardage and realized I was going to be about a yard short. Score one for the recliner. As my luck was going with the project at this point, the recliner was winning, the store had sold out of the fabric I had purchased just a couple of days prior. Dang, dang, double dog dang! New plan, this chair was not going to beat me, so I let my creative side take over and decide to add in a contrasting color to the back and sides. I would only have to redo the seat cushion and add the contrast to rise so that it would go with the rest of the chair. I ended up purchasing 2 1/2 yards of the contrasting fabric to make this new plan work.
My mistake turned out to be something really good. However, I don't think that I will be tackling any more recliners any time soon. This one just about did me in. I did learn a lot, and if I ever do another one in the future, I will take waaaaaay more picture.
Now I think I will just pick up my book and cup of coffee and rest before I start my next upholstery project. This time I am doing a sofa I found on the curb with the trash! Oh, yeah, re-purpose other people's cast offs, that's how I roll.
I am participating in the following link ups: The DIY Showoff, Between Naps on the Porch, Dittle Dattle, Keeping It Simple, Skip to My Lou, Making The World Cuter, Sumo Sweet Stuff, Today's Creative Blog, Coastal Charm, Ladybug Blessings, Blue Cricket Design, All things Heart and Home, Me and My Bucket, Niikki's Nifty Knacks, Sew Woodsy, The Thrifty Home, Trendy Treehouse, Alchemy Fine Living, Miss Mustard Seed